la [lah]: n. plushly poetic author, vocalist, model, artist, daughter, sister, lover, friend (and otha dope stuff like that...)

Thursday, June 14, 2012

10 days of juice... day 2: the migraine

Mid-day snack: Apple and ginger juice (yum)
So you want the good news first, or the bad news first?? Let's do the good news - after all, this is only day two. The good news is Tiffany and I made it through day one and I'm somehow down four lbs (applause here). The bad news? I woke up with a migraine the size of Texas, and as I write... I am still contending with its younger, less debilitating sibling, headache. I can't blame it all on the juice, though. Tiffany and I have been having the exact same amount of juice at the exact same times in the exact same quantity - and she is feeling just lovely. So, I blame my long history of migraines and headaches along with this detox on the craziness I call day two.

Despite the migraine though, today really wasn't that bad. We didn't wake up hungry, and even by the time Tiff made our first juice (my migraine had me on bed rest at the time), we only drank it because we knew we needed the sustenance.  A little later in the day, I did start to have cravings (there's a great Mexican place near my house - I've been dreaming of quesadillas all day), but I stayed the juicy course. When we started to get hungry again, though, I decided to make a lighter variation which is what you see in the photo. It's only apple and ginger, in a wine glass because I needed a little love, and it was fabulous! I'll be adding that to the menu even after the fast. Delish...

A little more juice (with an organic orange and then a bell pepper since it's supposed to help with headaches), a light swim, and a lot more bathroom trips later (sorry, but you are reading about a fast so what do you expect), day two is winding down. I still reeeaalllyy want that quesadilla, really... but I'm determined to keep going. I've heard day two and three are the hardest, so maybe by day four I'll be good. One things for sure: either way, I'll be writing about it.

Até amanhã ... (until tomorrow)

2 comments:

  1. Stay the course. The headache could come from any number of reasons one being the fact that the body is detoxing. As the toxins circulate and attempt to exit the body you can feel sick and your body will react differently than someone else's. Just continue to juice and pay attention to your body. It will tell you what is wrong and what you need if you listen closely. And remember total juicing with no food can be hard on the body especially if you haven't gradually prepared it for the change. So be open to adding foods like fruits and veggies if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sheneta. I definitely agree. When detoxing, headaches are quite common and of course with my past history, I am not surprised. I've been juicing once or twice a day leading up, but there was two week break when I was traveling and not juicing at all - so I know my body is totally confused (and mad lol). Either way, I'll see how tomorrow goes. If I still have a headache, I may consider eating fruit/veggies. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete