la [lah]: n. plushly poetic author, vocalist, model, artist, daughter, sister, lover, friend (and otha dope stuff like that...)

Friday, March 25, 2011

commitment issues...

soo, i've been writing since like... forever. poetry, lyrics, short stories, articles, scripts, plays, books, tweets - well, you get the point.  but maintaining a blog has been (and when i say maintain, i mean being truly consistent, writing without letup, whether they're reading or not, whomever "they" is - just sheer dedication to the art of word and, did i say consistent?) well yea, it's been something i've been wanting to do for quite a while. ok, maybe a little more than wanting. more like attempting. i've dibbled and dabbled, posted and tweeted - but, nothing serious...

...commitment issues.

don't judge me. i'm only human - and a busy human at that! but in the words of john legend, "this time i want it all..." so here's to second chances, starting over, and following thru. acknowledging the inadequate and resolving to change. i am a writer who hasn't been writing. what are you? and what have you been neglecting? for some, it's as simple as an art or a hobby. for others, it's as serious as a health condition or a loved one. or maybe that loved one is you... you've been afraid to commit to yourself. to your goals, to your dreams - to the person you said you'd become before you grew up and let life get in the way. or maybe you totally have the commitment thing down - your issue is that you commit to the wrong thing. the wrong habit. the wrong person... 



regardless of the actual issue at hand, commitment is the universal 10-letter word that turns casual into serious and makes grown men cry. but not here... not in my blogsphere. here, we're going to commit (at least to writing), and take this thing one keystroke at a time. that's my goal, what's urs...

até amanhã ...
la

10 comments:

  1. Welcome back :) I enjoy your thought process as you "speak/write/talk" outloud. So many dreams have slipped by or are in the process of slipping...if we just take a moment for introspection - it might lead to a dream revived...I commit to loving the changes in me - inside and out-whatever that may consist of in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it La! The funny thing is I have wanted to blog for a while now but of course that "commitment" always stands in the way, the fear of not being good enough, funny enough or interesting enough...you proved me wrong in your thought process today and for that I thank you! Loved the post and I welcome your thoughts and writings as we all struggle in some way and encourage in others...love ya chica! Keep doing beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, LUV IT!! I think the biggest failure is when you fail to commit to yourself and self-neglect is sooo not good.Im learning to take one thing at a time even though it has its stuggles, but to CHOSE to be ignorant and leave just leave it to the next day and next day and next... But once its brought to the forefront you have to come to grips with yourself and that can be ugly. lol And just say "it is what it is!! Soooo, what you going to do about it??" My commitment is to not self-neglect!!!

    Woo-sah Thanks for posting, and getting your blog back up!!! TE AMO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! it's funny because until i just read this I would have never considered myself having committment issues.. I would say in a relationship i'm as committed as they get- but... when i think of how i dont stay committed to my healt and wellness or to presonal things for me- then i realize - hey i have committment issues! and probably the worse kind- committment issues with yourself! wow great blog and info! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I see so much of myself in this. With words, you can move so many individuals - I am a witness to that fact. I take this entry about commitment personally. I hold it close to my heart and it makes me think constantly about myself, my life, my loved ones and where I want to be. Thank you, La. Thank you for bringing back reality and resurrecting focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you ladies! it's funny, i started this post purely as an introduction to my new blog, but it grew into so much more. commitment applies to soo many different aspects of our lives... and be it small or great, it can really take a toll when we aren't cognizant of what we commit to, consciously or unconsciously. so, thanks for choosing to commit with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A simply brilliant post. The thought of committing to oneself makes so much sense, but is something I hadn't thought about before. Thanks for expanding my perspective.

    Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely inspiring. It sends a message that it can be done. "One keystroke at a time..."

    The struggles comes when you're committed to several things simultaneously. You find yourself becoming a clown juggling multiple glass balls, and you can't let one break, because you're committed to each one. Over time I've broken a few...so I'm still practicing my juggling..

    ReplyDelete
  9. goodness, i could spend all day talking about the nuances of juggling... and did you say glass balls at that? i totally feel you. but sometimes, you have to commit to NOT commit to so many things at a time... spreading yourself too thin can only backfire in the end. (trust me, i know). so you're word, mr mack, is priority. find what takes priority, and commit to those things. then, once those are out of the way, you may find more time and energy to handle the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful introduction, La! I've never done the writing thing....I have so many thoughts and emotions going thru my mind at one time, sometimes it feels like a chore to sort them out enough to get them on paper. So I truly admire those, like u, who can do that and then turn it into a work of art! ....So, maybe I'll give it a try every now & then....just for me...

    ReplyDelete