la [lah]: n. plushly poetic author, vocalist, model, artist, daughter, sister, lover, friend (and otha dope stuff like that...)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

i am the dot, dot, dot...

i am the dot, dot, dot
the eternal placeholder
the lips you run to when hers aren’t close enough
the dotted line after the colon
the friend.

i am where there riverbed ends
the surrogate
the almost doesn’t count
the better luck next time

the fool
(everybody plays me)
the tool
(everybody use me)
the stool
(everybody stand on me)
to get high enough to reach someone else’s expectations



the runner up
- just in case she isn’t competent enough to keep her position

the fall back
the could’ve been
the maybe.

i am the two and a possible

the sidekick
the buddy
the sister
 i am the shoulda’ coulda’ woulda’
…but missed it

i am the table for one
the last nite really was fun

i am the money on the nightstand

the bird in the other hand
the secret
longing to be told
the lust,
and never the love

the afterthought.

i am the corner of your heart
wishing i was part of your life
i am the girlfriend
…and not the wife

the fool
(everybody plays me)
the tool
(everybody use me)
the stool
(everybody stand on me)
to get high enough to reach someone else’s expectation

- waiting for someone to meet mine.

la jones (c) 2010

(reprint from Essence magazine, September 2009)

2 comments:

  1. Probably my favorite of yours, ever. The "two and a possible line" gets me every time. Simply brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you aaron! i really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete